The African Leadership University or ALU is a network of tertiary institutions with operations in both Mauritius and Rwanda. Its mission is to build 25 campuses across the continent and produce 3 million young African leaders over the next 50 years.
On the other hand, Wekplace is a technological business initiative of Givenet that serves as an online tool which mainly connects job and internship seekers to employers. Wekplace is currently ranked as one of Ghana’s top job sites since it commenced in June 2018.
In February 2019 Wekplace collaborated with the Employer Partnership Unit of ALU to offer internship placement services to students of the university in corporate organizations in Accra, Ghana. The internship aims to provide the following benefits to the students.
- Application of education and career exploration. The internships will be a great way to apply the knowledge from the classroom to real-world experience.
- Gain experience and increase marketability. The internship will give the students experience in the career field they want to pursue.
- Networking. The internship will benefit the students in the working environment, and it will also build their professional network.
- How a professional workplace operates. The internships will help students learn all about workplace culture, employee relations, and leadership structure, which should help them onboard in their first professional job with more ease than if they haven’t had professional experience.
- Build students resume. Most organizations and jobs that students apply to their following graduation want employees to have some sort of professional experience, even for entry-level jobs.
- Gain professional feedback. Not only will the students be helping out the organization they intern with, but they’ll help the students out too. While professors and teachers will prepare the students for the theoretical side of your field and hands-on projects.
The Internship Program is a flagship initiative of Wekplace. The program serves an academic function which helps tertiary students/undergraduates from the first year to final year gain career experience within their academic fields of study through internships within a corporate organization in Accra